[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BEACON (with diagrams)

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Sunday, 23 May 2010, at 8:04 p.m.

In Response To: 62S-32 XG 4 ply RO (Chase)

Thanks, Daniel and Chase.

Having the confirmation that the Nactation legend is useful encourages me to continue with its inclusion. Honestly, I consider my only alternative (besides omitting the legend) is to stop posting early game data entirely. I would be unwilling to spend the much greater time required to retype my information in traditional notation and 0.xxx-like equities.

Moreover, it really is MUCH faster to interpret and analyze in nacbrac form, once you get used to it -- Stick and David aren't just making that up. And I never would have gained the insights I have without being able to mentally absorb and compare data across similar positions with a compressed format.

To help distinguish B from E, it may help to remember that playing "Both up and down" sounds a lot more natural than playing "Each up and down" would sound.

The six letters for doublets are explained in detail in Section 3 here, and are summarized below. As a memory aid, they can be spelled with the word BEACON.

B = Both (Both up and down)
E = Each (Each home board)
A = Attack
C = Cross (Cross the bar)
O = Outer (into and out of the Outer board)
N = Near (Near side quadrants)

Below is a series of diagrams to help visually imprint the letters (each of which capture a single concept). In all cases, Blue has played double 3s from the opening position:

' ' '2O '5X '3X ' ' '3O

2X ' ' ' '5O '3O '2O '5X

B (both)

' ' '2O '5X '3X ' ' '5O

2X '2O ' '3O '3O ' ' '5X

E (Each)

2O ' ' ' '5X '3X ' ' '5O

2X '2O '2O3O '1O ' ' '5X

A (Attack)

' ' '2O '5X '3X ' ' '5O

2X ' ' '2O5O '1O ' ' '5X

C (Cross)155

2O ' ' ' '5X '3X ' ' '3O

2X ' ' '2O5O '1O '2O '5X

O (Outer)

2O ' ' ' '5X '3X ' ' '3O

2X '2O ' '3O '3O '2O '5X

N (Near)

Hope that helps,

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.