[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposal to redefine suffix -n in a move sequence

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Friday, 3 May 2013, at 1:56 a.m.

White is XG Roller+

score: 0
pip: 150
Unlimited Game
Beaver
pip: 160
score: 0

Blue is KenBame
XGID=-a----EaD--AdC-a-b-d--b-B-:0:0:1:62:0:0:2:0:10
Blue to play 62

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10

Note: This position was posted by Ken today.

In a rollout, XG is not likely to beaver itself. For the purpose of making a no-Jacoby rollout, therefore, allowing beavers is essentially the same thing as disallowing them.

The possibility that beavers may be allowed, however, is forcing me to rethink my database design. Heretofore, I have been treating all no-Jacoby rollouts equally. They have all had their move sequences suffixed by -n. By this method, for instance, the move sequence for the position above becomes 53P-52D-63S-62-n. I have then linked any no-Jacoby rollout, beavers or otherwise, to its corresponding no-Jacoby move sequence. This introduces subtle errors in my data by linking no-Jacoby rollouts where beavers are allowed to no-Jacoby move sequences where the XGID does not allow beavers.

Before I modify my database design, I would like have a disscussion whether the -n suffix should be defined to refer only to the no-Jacoby, no-beaver situation that exists in normal-match-score (NMS) rollouts. Perhaps -n could be redefined to mean NMS, and -b introduced to mean no-Jacoby, beavers allowed. When the suffix is omitted, or the -m suffix is used, the meaning would still be Jacoby/beavers allowed. Perhaps -j could mean Jacoby/no beavers. See the table below.

Mneumonic Suffix Jacoby Rule Enforced Beavers Allowed
Money none, or -m yes yes
Normal match scores -n no no
Beavers -b no yes
Jacoby -j yes no

What do you think?

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.