[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A chess tournament -- entry fees and prizes

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Sunday, 23 June 2013, at 4:50 p.m.

In Response To: A chess tournament -- entry fees and prizes (Phil Simborg)

If you look back to the original post in this tread, Chess is doing a lot more for its best players than Backgammon. There are differences in the games and that doesn't prove anything by itself. It is an opening for discussion. With respect to the return provided for the best players please look at the legions of strong players who have left the game or reduced their participation because the return is inadqeuate. They disagree with you and are voting with their feet. You say we need to do more for everyone else. I argue that the game is losing a much higher percentage from the top of the pyramid than the middle. Who do we want to bring back to the game; Stick or Mr. Average?

I realize that there are players who skip masters events because of the cost. Nevertheless, there are many players who enter who are clearly not masters. These people are willing to put up money to complete with the best. Leave the structure alone and let them do it. They are good for the game. Don't dilute their contribution with levelized prizes or lower entry fees. "Masters" is really a misnomer. They are higher stakes events than the main tournament. Those who don't want to play for higher stakes shouldn't enter.

You have suggested events with lower entry fees. I think that would be great. Give players a choice. The way to keep the most people in the game is to offer different things at different tournaments. Players can select what appeals to them. Standardization destroys inovation.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.