[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A question about Gridgammon etiquette

Posted By: Christian Munk-Christensen
Date: Monday, 29 July 2013, at 7:02 a.m.

In Response To: A question about Gridgammon etiquette (Marv Porten)

I'm a 2000-rating player @ GG and I generally make the first play which comes to mind. I like to play fast and so does many of my opponents. I don't believe it is against the etiquette to take time over difficult plays. I will take time over difficult plays myself if I know that doing so will improve my chances of finding the right play (eg counting shots after different plays or perhaps taking a minute to calculate a TP and gammon price).

There are a couple of reasons why I *always* play fast:

- Chances are my instinct play is correct and I don't improve my chances of finding the right play by spending a lot of time over a play.

- Playing slowly will raise concerns that a player may be cheating.

- Most opponents prefer fast play.

- I have tried enough times in my career to spend several minutes over some play only to end up making a blunder by over thinking the position. I think it looks so stupid when a player spends an awful long time over a play and then ends up making a big blunder.

The downside to my pace of play is that I do make the occasional blunder by overlooking something but I guess that also pleases my opponents.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.