[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT: Did you know Riggs tanked his match against BJK?

Posted By: mamabear
Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2013, at 12:02 p.m.

In Response To: OT: Did you know Riggs tanked his match against BJK? (Bill Calton)

The article said it was hard to find bets on Billie Jean King, but back when this match was played, I was one of the few they did find after giving me good odds. I was in high school at the time, playing JV tennis (not well, it was a small school) but I followed women's tennis closely. My view then was that Margaret Court was "psyched out" by Riggs' antics, but that Billie Jean King would not be. If she had believed that Riggs had beat Court just because by being a better player, she'd have to believe the same thing would happen with her, if perhaps by a slightly less lopsided score, since she and Court were comparables at the time. I trusted King to have done her homework.

Of course I believe men as a group have a huge natural advantage over women in tennis, but that doesn't mean a washed-up, aging pro can patter his way to a win over a woman player at the top of her game.

IIRC I bet $1 and won $10.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.