[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Experiment

Posted By: AP
Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2013, at 3:43 a.m.

In Response To: Breaking a match into smaller sets: Another advantages (Bob Koca)

You raise some interesting points, and I am not convinced either way.

The first thing I would want to have is a quantitative estimate of average cube complexity for a given match that captures the factors you listed. I trust the experts here could come up with some metric that penalizes a position when cube complexity is nonexistent and gives a bonus when cube complexity is high. For example, assign 0 to DMP/Crawford/post-crawford/etc, .5 when position is close to money cube action, and closer to 1 when the cube has power but the take points start to deviate from money. Average these values across all turns, and compare the metric between an 11-point match and 2 out of 3 5-pointers. It would be interesting to see this comparison in bot vs bot of equal as well as unequal strength. Also as a bonus, you could get other interesting metrics you are looking for, such as average # games per match and stdev of # games per match.

I don't know if it is feasible/easy to set up XG to repeatedly play itself in a fixed match length, outputting the relevant results at the end. If so, I'd be happy to donate some CPU power to the cause.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.