[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Things have changed

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 11 February 2014, at 4:07 p.m.

In Response To: Are there 10 in the world that would be right? (Bob Koca)

Things have changed with the latest opening book and in recent years. I completely agree with Bob's definition of NMS. I have actually revised my take point chart to make note of the scores where you play opening moves like GG and GS that are not purely GG and GS, and they include 5A/2A, 5A/3A (close), 2A/3A, 1A/4A, and 4A/3A.

At those scores, you do slot, for example, with a 4-1 if you are the trailer, and you make most moves the same as GS and GG.

A few years ago I gave a lecture at a tournament on GG and GS and I stated that my old friend and mentor, Joe Sylvester, taught me that the bots were wrong by not playing more like GG and GS whenever they are well ahead or behind in the match. At the time, the bots didn't slot with the 4-1 on the above scores, but now the bots have proven Sly to be right after all.

Interesting, because years ago most of us agreed that the top players in the world should be trusted more than the bots, and Corbett's book also proved that. Now, I think we would be hard-pressed to find many situations where we would not trust XG over anyone. (Excluding, of course, those situations where you can change your play based on playing an opponent who is much better or worse than you are.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.