[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

TV Shows - Totally OT

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 26 February 2014, at 2:49 a.m.

In Response To: TV Shows - Totally OT (Art Grater)

“I also enjoy documentaries, but the filmmakers can (and frequently do) edit them to become less than truthful. Don't believe everything you see in a documentary.”

Having been around the block a few times, I’m pretty good at spotting BS when it comes my way.

One of the more entertaining episodes occurred a few years ago when I was watching a C-SPAN Books lecture about Sherman’s March to the Sea in the American Civil War. The author, a professor from Pennsylvaia who was an obvious Sherman-ophile, had already exposed his bias when he proclaimed that no Union soldier had expropriated so much as even one silver spoon from the homes in the counties that were ravaged.

The professor then explained the genius of his hero Sherman when he arrived at Savannah. Living off forage, and short of the resourses necessary to care for the many POWs the Union Army would have captured in battle, the writer extolled Sherman’s perspicacity in taking the city, and allowing its 10,000 Confederate defenders to escape, “without firing a single shot.”

ROFL!

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.