[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposition and Elo

Posted By: AdamStocks
Date: Sunday, 13 April 2014, at 11:39 p.m.

In Response To: Proposition and Elo (adrianov)

I couldn't agree more. My calculation used the XG rating system because it at least made some sort of calculation possible without too much awkwardness. But the difference between the XG system and, say, the GridGammon rating system is huge (over 200 points in some cases), and people often band around the term "Elo rating" as if there is some sort of established standard. The complex polynomial structure of the GridGammon system makes a simple calculation for this proposition out of the question, and much guesswork ensues. Gridgammon don't even publish the rating system details anymore thanks to Ken Arnold throwing his toys out of the pram after I had asked and got his permission to use the system details in order to aid the writing of an article about ratings with Doug Zare some years ago. It was clearly public domain info, but Ken later changed his mind (after the article was published) and took down the help files with the system details in it a day or two later, claiming it was commercially sensitive information. In a nutshell, of the three major systems, the Gridgammon system is the most stringent, with Fibs slightly more generous, and XG way more generous.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.