[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Fairest order of tie-breakers for backgammon round-robin tournaments?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Sunday, 3 April 2016, at 2:58 p.m.

I was in a tournament recently which started off with 8 groups of 9 players.

These 8 groups played round-robin matches to determine who would go forward into the knockout stage.

The top 3 players from each group were to progress.

At the end of this phase, a tie-breaker was required to decide who went through in the the final (3rd) qualifying place for 6 of the 8 groups.

75% the of groups requiring a tie-breaker feels like a large proportion to me. A fairly large number of people were eliminated by this narrow margin. In some cases, 4 people were tied for the important 3rd place.

I know some systems use Head-to-Head outcomes, others the use sum of defeated opponents points (i.e. FIBS), some use the cumulative balance of the match scores (i.e. ABG) etc. There are many different systems.

I was wondering, what is the general consensus (if any) within the backgammon community of the fairest tie-break criteria and ordering of such in these situations?

N.B. This is not a criticism of the tournament in question; it was fun, and very well run.

Full disclosure: yes I was one of those eliminated. I doubt I would have given it much thought if I wasn't, but the question is interesting to me anyway :)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.