[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT - Poker Hand - I'm a donk

Posted By: Stick
Date: Wednesday, 18 January 2017, at 12:48 p.m.

The last time I posted some poker hands someone asked me to post some hands where I may have played them incorrectly. While I think a fair case could be made that I did play some of the hands incorrectly I'm positive I played this one wrong and it was a big deal so thought I'd share.

I had been playing $1/$2 (min buyin 100, max 400, I never sit with less than the max) and built my stack up to around $500+. It was a full table (9 players) and your typical $1/$2 crowd. I had recently changed tables so the table I'm at now I've only been at for half an hour tops but still had a very good sense of how everyone plays.

I'm in the small blind and have 68 off suit. It was a family pot, everyone limped to me so I completed. Then the big blind makes it $11 to go. Once again everyone(!) called back to me. Normally 68 off isn't something worth playing for a raise unless perhaps you're near or on the button (with position for the entire hand) and even then most people wouldn't play it. However, here, since I close the preflop action and am getting amazzzzzzzzzing odds calling another $9 is a no brainer.

I call and check dark. Since I am out of position against the entire field it's really hard to imagine a flop I'd bet out at. The flop comes:

6d 8d Kc

Someone in relatively early position bets $25 and a few people call before it gets back to me. This is clearly the point to get the money in as I'm almost certain to be ahead of everyone and many, many cards could peel off that hurt me badly. So I raise to $125.

Fold, fold, reraise to $3xx!!! Fold.

That is scary. Deathly frightening. The player in question is one of the only people at the table to have me covered so if I call I am basically committing myself to be all in. What I know about this player so far is he is your standard poker nit. That means he only plays premium hands and just waits to get paid off which at low stakes is a working game plan. It is boring as all hell compared to playing poker but if you're there only to make money, it can be effective.

So the $500 question is ... what could he have? Figure this out yourself before you read on if you play poker. This big of a move is never a bluff, ever, at basically any stakes. Not the way the hand went down. So he has a real hand. Since he's a nit I can easily remove hands like 6K suited or 8K suited. He wouldn't play those hands esp. from relatively early position preflop. I can also remove KK from his range because he would have played it faster preflop either raising initially or definitely reraising once the big blind raised.

That is going to leave us with a very small range. It's either 66, 88, or Kx with both being diamonds. The problem with the latter hand is that he can't have the nut diamond draw (AKd) because that is also another hand that he would have played faster preflop. That means he'd be scared to play a non nut draw in such a manner because it's possible someone else would be on the nut draw. Also, he is a much tighter player than that. He wouldn't come over the top of my obvious massive show of strength with Kx diamonds. He can't expect that I'd fold and I may have him as crushed as it can get. (flopped a set) He's too much of a nit to be on such a hand all factors considered.

So what's left? 66 and 88. As improbable as they are because either pair would have to be the case given my hand and the board, they are an absolute certainty given the situation. At the time I waffled and prayed that maybe he lost his mind with Kx diamonds and moved but I knew better. Anyone else at that table I can call with ease because they were worse players who would overvalue their hand and potentially make such a move. They also couldn't make that move because they wouldn't have the stack to do it. I ended up calling like an idiot because it was only a few hundred bucks and I figured it's worth the BGO vig when I was crushed as I should have known I was.

There is a teeny tiny chance that he could host a monster hand like 57 or 79 of diamonds but that's remote. If he did however that would certainly be a call on my part.

He had 88 and while a much better ending to the story would have been running sixes it didn't happen.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.