[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

eXtreme Gammon - Review/Overview

Posted By: phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 29 June 2009, at 1:02 p.m.

In Response To: eXtreme Gammon - Review/Overview (Stick)

When you took the xg money games and ran them through GNU and found that the error rate was under 1, I assume that was based on the GNU 2-ply evaluation? If that is the case, is it possible that if you rolled out all of the plays where there was a disagreement it would have discovered that on some of those plays GNU was wrong and xg's play was better? Then wouldn't we have to roll out those same plays on Snowie and xg to get their opinions on those plays as well, as the various bots might be playing them out differently? And even then, after the rollouts, can we be sure which play/program was really better?

Relative to the bigger picture, I have a couple of comments:

First, I know you and others will not see a major difference in ease of use and setup etc., but that's partially because you are software geeks and you've been using this stuff a long time. To the average person like me, I find xg much simpler to set up positions and get an analysis and see the answers...so when I talk about improved ease of use, I mean for us non-geeks.

Second, a lot of the things you do with GNU, and others at world-class level do, will never be considered or done by 95% of the people who use a bot. I agree that those things need to be understood and covered for the 5%, but for the rest of us, even without the changes that you recommended to Xavier, which I am confident he will make in the near future, the software does everything I need and want it to do to find out what play is best and to use it for a learning tool and to have something to play against that instantly tells me if I have an error.

Third, your efforts here, and sharing your results so unselfishly and completely with the world, are most appreciated. There are many Giants who have over the years shared their knowledge and skills, but most have done it through books and articles and lectures where they got paid to do it. In all of my on-line and tournament seminars, and in all my lessons, I direct people to this site for the great information. (I apologize for all of the things I have said about you behind your back and all the things I might say again tomorrow.)

Phil

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.