[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

The box means NOTHING/ In Defence Of Phil

Posted By: Jake Jacobs
Date: Saturday, 29 August 2009, at 3:51 a.m.

In Response To: The box means NOTHING/ In Defence Of Phil (Timothy Chow)

Dean Muench once took a 12% bearoff recube to keep the Box in a chou at the legendary 3rd Coast restaurant that once graced Chicago's Rush Street district.

(Fun fact: I was once in a chou taking up three tables dead center in the restaurant during the dinner rush. Stu Katz pointed to a fellow kibitzing while he and his date waited for a table to open up. "Shows how much pull he's got." "Looks familiar," I said. It was Jerry Springer.) ("Nother fun fact: it was in the 3rd Coast in 1996 that Phil began his own legendary run of chouetting "four times a week for 25 years.")

Digression over! Dean's play - and that take was part of Dean's leitmotif - inspired an article by me some years ago wherein I offered some very crude estimates for "Fish" cubes in money games. To properly model it you'd need to account for the relative strength of every player, the consulting rules, the cube rules, the rotation, partnership rules, the likelihood of the mix changing over the length of a Box run ... To my surprise I found that Dean may not have acted as outrageously as I first thought. (The three most important factors making that so, without regard to rank: that he was taking only one recube; that if he took and won instead of into the Box I would move to 10th in the batting order; the nine players batting ahead of me.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.