[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Weather Based ABT Schedule

Posted By: Dan Pelton
Date: Sunday, 10 January 2010, at 10:29 p.m.

In Response To: Weather Based ABT Schedule (jdg)

When I was investigating possible dates for a Phoenix tournament, I had choices of January (Santa Fe I believe is going to be held on the week I had considered, or perhaps one week earlier) or June. I based these dates on existing ABT schedules, and my belief that as a new tournament it would be more successful if held with at least 2 weeks away from existing successful tournaments. Unfortunately I was not able to secure a location at a cost that would enable me to run a tournament with a high probability of breaking even financially.

Advantages of January were that I felt it would be more attractive to out-of-town players to come to a "warm weather" location in January. Hotel room rates were somewhat more expensive, as the Phoenix area attracts "snow-birds" who come out to vacation regularly during the winter.

June would have been a harder "sell" in my opinion, although the weather is generally reasonable in June, high's in the high 90's (which are somewhat equivalent to high 80's in a more humid climate). Although realistically most backgammon players who come from out-of-town for a tournament may spend very little time outside the confines of the hotel, it would definitely be a psychological barrier to overcome.

I would be interested in the thoughts of my fellow backgammon players regarding what would be more attractive, a "winter" event in a warm weather location at a higher room rate or a "summer" event. The room savings would be likely $20 base/nite, and airfare might also be cheaper in the summer.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.