[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Well done event in NY - Formerly homeless man makes it home.

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 5:44 a.m.

This year's NY Metro ABT event was starting out behind the 8 ball as I saw it.

Firstly, those of you who remember my account from a year ago know what a nightmare the event was in many regards for many and for me in particular. So there was this negative impression out there.

Secondly, Howard Markowitz, a seasoned veteran of running tournaments was no longer involved in running this event, as his former NVBG partner Lynn Ehrlich took over exclusive responsibility for directing the event. Now Lynn and I are friends, and she has worked with Howard for many years, but this would be her first job as director, and much as I wanted Lynn to succeed, but any first time director has an uphill battle.

Well Lynn was very sensitive to the feedback from last year. She sought me out well in advance to get my take on the situation and my thoughts. I know she spoke with others as well. She was determined not to have a repeat. She took many steps to avoid scheduling problems. The schedule was reorganized from the start to avoid conflicts with Doubles actually scheduled to ensure playing time in the mornings before regular tournament hours. Doubles and in some cases other side events creates the greatest problems, and she took the position that she would rather refuse or lose entries to side events to avoid conflicts than take the extra entries and cause delays. Clocks were mandatory in doubles, and on request of either player in both the Championship and Masters events. Clocks were available from the director and preprogrammed for the various events and match lengths.

Lynn was somewhat handicapped for tournament staff as well. Troy Longman was the veteran on staff and did his usual stellar job. But the rest of the staff were first timers. But I found Lynn to be organized and effective at giving her staff guidance and marching orders. They were driven hard as I found out by talking to them, and they were up until 3-4 AM working and preparing to ensure that they were ready for things the following day. But they got it done. Things ran very smoothly for the most part.

The most unfortunate thing about the event was the Calcutta auction. Quite simply nobody was bidding. Carter and Falafel were the auctioneers, and I think they did fine, and so does anyone else I spoke with. But there was simply a total lack of liquidity in that market. I never bid myself, as I'm there for the backgammon, not the gambling, so I'm just as much to blame as the rest of the tightwads. But the usual cast of characters that tend to bid heavily were all missing. It was the perfect storm. Fortunately, the storm blew over and things went smoothly after that.

The good news about the Calcutta auction time was that we made the first official announcement about the creation of the US Backgammon Federation. Harvey Gillis presented briefly on behalf of the Board of Directors and discussed the Mission, the committees and what we are trying to do. The feedback and support and offers to help from many of the people in attendance was great.

Over all, I am happy to strongly commend Lynn and her staff for a well run event. They had a tough job and the pressure was on for them to perform and not have a repeat of last year's mess. And they rose to the challenge.

Great job guys!

P.S. I finished up Thursday night at around 11 PM, left and caught my train. Only been waiting for a year!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.