[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

More fun with rules -- the fast grab

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 4 June 2010, at 7:30 a.m.

Recently the rules have been stiffened for fast rolling in non-clocked matches. The analogous impropriety in clocked matches is the fast grab -- touching the dice before opponent has punched the clock. The primary advantage to the rule breaker is that it buys time: you're supposed to pick up the dice while your clock is running, not before your clock starts.

In Chicago, as mentioned in another thread, I played 12 matches in the Open, all clocked per my personal requirement. Just thinking back, at least half of these matches involved fast-grab opponents, and I don't mean just one or two fast-grabs per match. I'm taking many, and not just in the bearoff (although that is when the activity is most common). My recollection also is that none of the fast-grabbers was using much clock time anyway, which allows me to rationalize why I didn't 'correct' them.

But there was one case in particular which I am going to highlight. In the middle of a game I made a quick play and started moving my hand toward the clock (but never got within 6 inches = 15 cm of the plunger). My opponent covered up the dice with his hand but didn't pick them up. I paused and after a second or two he took his hand away, allowing me to see the dice again. I quickly noticed that I had overlooked a far superior play -- sending my opponent to the bar. I made that play and hit the clock.

Comments?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.