[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Stick, do you have 43U43 rolled out?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Saturday, 23 August 2008, at 2:09 p.m.

In Response To: How do you see the replies from LINUX? (and a position) (Marty Storer)

There seems to be a placeholder but no RO result (that I can see, anyway).

Marty, yours was the best reply although I was trying to project my situation, which was explaining to advanced beginners (oxymoron?) why 13/4* was best. "It stinks" doesn't really convey that info.

(After detailing the advantage of the general tactic of knocking opp off a high innerboard point...)

The one counter to 13/4* is that it doesn't attack on the defensive point you most want to prevent opp from acquiring. However, that is offset by the fact that the accompanying six does not play well. 24/18 gives opp good sixes from the bar and 13/7 gives extra return shots. Worse for 8/5*, IMO, is the stripped 8-point. (I suspect that this was your and Stick's unvoiced, intuitive logic as well.) But now that you have shown ambivalence between hitting on the 5- vs. the 4- with 4-3 reply, I wonder if my general contention in the discussion of the original position (i.e. 6-3 reply) is misguided.

Re: 43 reply, in contrast, now you must strip the 8-point regardless of which checker you hit. And unlike the six die of the original position, whichever approach chosen -- bringing down a builder or splitting the back checkers -- you get a good builder or split to a high anchor.

Between the two approaches (builder or splitter), though, I feel that it's up in the air (without seeing an RO, anyway :). The action is on Blue's side, arguing for the builder. But splitting when there is a reasonable chance of getting whacked elsewhere is quite often the right ploy.

Here's a question (for you in particular because of your frequent mention of catch up plays, but everyone's opinion always welcomed) -- if opp indeed anchors, isn't your split now catering to catch up? Or another way of thinking, wouldn't the outfield blot now take on a new valuable role of starter for a good outfield blocking point?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.