[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Cocked Dice: a Compromise?

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Sunday, 16 June 2013, at 7:15 p.m.

In Response To: Cocked Dice: a Compromise? (Tom Keith)

As I once described on this forum, some years ago, I have tried it - at a players suggestion - and in the first game we had a difficult situation to resolve. He'd rolled a fine 11, but I could see that one of the dice was overhanging a chequer and perhaps leaning over on it, and may not be flat. We looked very carefully, and he agreed that it was indeed not flat, though it did require fine judgement.

I had told him of such possible situations when resisting his suggestion to change the rule. After this fairly quickly occurring scenario, he immediately agreed to my suggestion to revert to the usual rule. It was uncomfortable for me, because it was a good roll for him. But I know I would have queried it whatever the roll.

It is easy to see how grey areas can occur. Put a die flat on, and well away from the edge of a (flat) chequer. Then move it to a position where it nestles between chequers or the side of the board, and with a corner pointing upwards. Somewhere in between these extremes there is an area that is very subjective as to whether it is cocked or not. With the prevailing rule there are no real ambiguities.

Your suggestion that a player regains his reserve time after rolling cocked dice could still lead to an interminable situation. Though I don't buy in to Stick's assertion that players who can't roll deserve to time out, it does have a grain of truth in it. You have to draw the line somewhere, or even a mandatory clocked event could overrun.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.