[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Monospace font and rec.games.backgammon

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Saturday, 29 June 2013, at 2:35 a.m.

In Response To: 4-3 "backgame" cube action @ 5a 5a ROLLOUT (Smcrtorchs)

Google Groups imposed a switch to the “New Google Groups” this month. Unfortunately, NGG does not have the ability to display messages in a monospaced font. That is what you need in order to display the board diagrams at rec.games.backgammon.

To get around the problem, you can copy the XGID from a diagram at rec.games.backgammon, and paste it into XG. You can also copy an entire board diagram from rec.games.backgammon, and paste into a text editor (such as Windows Notepad) that has been configured to use a monospaced font.

Below are a few other ideas.

Show original
A relatively easy workaround double-spaces the board in a monospaced font:

On the right side of a message title in Google Groups, click the drop-down menu (a triangle), and select “Show original.”

Monospace Fonts and new Google Groups
Michael Petch explains a more permanent workaround in this thread, but it only works with Firefox and Chrome.

Old Google Groups link
The old Google Groups, which supported monospaced fonts, is unavailable for most users. This thread discusses some workarounds for reaching the old Google Groups, but they did not behave too well when I tried them. I found a similar thread in the Shakespeare group.

Hope this helps. If you find any better ways to deal with this problem, please let me know.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.