[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another match format that could be exciting

Posted By: Jason Lee
Date: Friday, 26 July 2013, at 1:52 p.m.

In Response To: Another match format that could be exciting (Bob Koca)

UBK: I think you have previously argued that skill should more be greatly rewarded. Do you realize this rule does the opposite of that.

Not necessarily. You need to make an apples to apples comparison. If you compare 9 points backgammon with 9 points simborg-gammon, then yes, simborg-gammon is less skillful, but I don't think that's what Phil is suggesting. He's saying to replace 9 points backgammon with 11 points simborg-gammon. Now make the comparison. It may well be that it's still less skillful, but it's no longer obvious.

why not argue for best 2 out of 3 five or seven point matches instead of one longer match?

I'd definitely like to see a lot more of this, especially in the finals of a big tournament. It would be fun to see best 3-out-of-5 five point matches to decide the finals. If you play a long match, say 15 points... you can get to a "blowout" where one person is really very far out of it. If you play best 3-out-of-5 five point matches, you're never really that dead at the beginning of a game. If you're down 4-0 in the third match, and down 2-0 in the series, your chances are a lot better than being down 15-away/Crawford in a single long match.

JLee

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.