[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nothing Could Be Finer Than BG In Carolina

Posted By: Keene
Date: Wednesday, 4 September 2013, at 3:59 p.m.

In Response To: Nothing Could Be Finer Than BG In Carolina (Igor)

Igor: As a potential new recruit for live backgammon I have a message for all TD's. Unless you adopt a swiss system, I have absolutely no interest to invest in travel expenses only to be eliminated after two-three unlucky matches. Because if I'm eliminated I have nothing more to do at the tournament -- naturally I'm not interested in sponsoring shark's chouette side action.

Igor,

I am delighted that you had a great experience at the tournament in Charlotte - I only wish I could have been there too, but couldnt make it. However, I think its important to note some things about the swiss system, and the more common single and double elimination formats. The Swiss system requires a minimum of 3 days to be run effectively, and unfortunately, there arent that many tournaments that have that option, with the limited holiday weekends available. Now, I also know that there are some tournaments that run over 3+ days that arent around a holiday.

Speaking as a TD, I would ask that you give the other formats a chance - the single and double elimination formats are also a whole lot of fun, with the added bonus that you know exactly where you are in the running. Yes, I would agree that you get on average less matches to play in these events, however, they are just as much fun.

As an example, David Presser went 8-0 in the main event (before the final matches) - that kind of record would have been good enough to win a 256 player single elimination event! But instead, he took 2nd place in the swiss format.

The other thing is that there are often many side events, and plenty of opportunities to play backgammon - blitzes, unique events, quickies etc, are all most often offered throughout a weekend. Also, you dont have to play either - you can just watch some of the worlds best players compete - that can be just as fulfilling as playing - or play doubles with them. Many players arent interested in the "Sharks chouette side action" - many players just want to play and have fun. You can always find a match with someone for fun, or very small stakes. Its not about the money, its about the game.

I hope that you will reconsider your stance on attending only swiss movement events - I believe that you are missing out on some fantastic tournaments that run other formats. I am sure that I speak for all the TD's that frequent this board.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.