[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nothing Could Be Finer Than BG In Carolina

Posted By: Igor
Date: Wednesday, 4 September 2013, at 4:53 p.m.

In Response To: Nothing Could Be Finer Than BG In Carolina (Keene)

Keene, I completely understand your point of view as a TD. However, from my point of a view as a player, I apriori have a negative equity in a live tournament unless I'm close to a Giant level and the latter is not happening anytime soon. Add fixed travel expenses on top of that, and all I'm potentially getting is two-three matches in the first day? I'm not willing to pay close to a thousand dollars so that I "can just watch some of the worlds best players compete."

Case in point -- I contemplated attending the Capital Classis as it is within driving distance from me, but once I saw that it is that standard main+consolation format I'm not going to bother.

Why would it be impossible to implement a swiss system in a two day format? Just cut down the number of swiss pairings from 10 to say 6-7 and then have a short playoff starting on Sunday afternoon. Of course, you would need clocks required policy for that. Can you really find that many players who is not in favor of the swiss system and instead prefer the elimination crapshoot? It would be interesting to hear what open level players have to say about that.

In the end, if you don't want to change what you had been doing all this time, then don't be surprised to see live backgammon in US go to extinction in 10-20-30 years down the road when the 70s boomers retire from competition.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.