[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

501 Essential Backgammon Problems #52 -- Rollout + Variants

Posted By: David Presser
Date: Saturday, 7 September 2013, at 4:12 p.m.

In Response To: 501 Essential Backgammon Problems #52 -- Rollout + Variants (Igor)

Very nice and much appreciated!

The additional logic that I see for the results of moving opp's 11 pt to the 10 and 9 pts is the indirect hitting numbers on our 11 pt in case we place a checker there. Dbl 4 is a joker so I ignore it, but the 62 isn't good for our opp when you give him the 10 pt, and is duplicated when you give him the 9 pt (he could make his bar pt). In general, when I leave indirect shots in the opening-mid game, I am checking whether those indirect hitting numbers are duplicated with other possible constructive plays for my opponent.

In the case when opp has the 10 pt, splitting to the 22 gives you many indirect hitting numbers (almost equivalent to a direct shot) in case he breaks that pt later and leaves an exposed checker, whereas if it is the case with the 11 pt, you have only 64, 62 (53 is blocked), and dbls that hitting may not be the best play.

In summary, I think that duplicating my opp's indirect hitting numbers and diversifying my indirect hitting numbers are significant in explaining the results.

In addition, when my opponent has the 4 pt and I roll 21 I always look at 24/22, 24/23 as a candidate (for example 61p, 42p, 21 I play 23 and 22). If you give the opponent more fire power, I believe it would be the top play for some similar variations.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.