[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

PR xg-gnu-snowie-bgblitz

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Tuesday, 28 January 2014, at 7:57 p.m.

In Response To: PR xg-gnu-snowie-bgblitz (Keene)

Not really a shock. Some people don't use commercial software because it is proprietary in nature and may not fit with their personal idealistic view. Some people won't spend money. Some people may want the source code. Some people may want a bot that plays on Java enabled phones (even ancient ones). Some people may want to automate and script a bot. Some peopel want a bot that they can connect as a back-end to other products. I can tell you that XG isn't a panacea. There are features in other bots that XG doesn't have. XG is a great product and I admire what Xavier has done, but I doubt he holds the view that his product is suitable for everyone and all situations. He may correct me if I am wrong.

I think the working relationship between the bot developers (especially XG/GNUBG/BgBlitz) is an indication that no one bot fits every situation and it is in our collective interests to promote Backgammon bots in general by working together where integration makes sense.

I remember reading a post by a prevalent Backgammon figure that predicted that one bot would be all that was needed and that the others would effectively have no reason to exist. 4 years later more bots are cropping up, and the bots that were being actively developed in 2009 are still being developed today.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.