[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

XG Semantics

Posted By: Jeremy Bagai
Date: Friday, 28 February 2014, at 5:14 a.m.

In Response To: XG Semantics (phil simborg)

I think you should reconsider your aversion to "Money Games." I do not think the name harms the image of backgammon. It is not "Degenerate Gambler Games" or "Stakes You Cannot Afford Games." Just "Money Games." Two perfectly descriptive words.

Consider, you can't play backgammon with the doubling cube unless something of value is at stake. Otherwise, why pass? This is baked into the game. Naming it "Games where something is at stake but we want to avoid thinking about that something" is silly. Do you ever refer to non-tournament poker as "Non-tournament Poker"? "Unlimited Poker"? "Independent Hand Poker"? Silly.

The contrast between "Match Play" and "Money Games" highlights not just the Match/Money difference, but also the Play/Games difference. A match is a collection of games that comprises one contest. Whereas a collection of money games is just a collection of games. The words mean what they mean.

I would prefer to treat others as adults and to be treated as an adult. We play Money Games. Calling them anything else, or pretending there are such things as Normal Match Scores is to create unnecessary and confusing jargon for vague political ends. I believe this practice harms backgammon.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.