[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I am finally "sold" on a name

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Monday, 31 March 2014, at 10:37 p.m.

In Response To: Etymology of "unlimited game" (Timothy Chow)

After reading all of the excellent posts and comments here and discussing this with Xavier and others, I am pretty much sold on the idea of calling them:

Individual Games.

I believe that name best describes what it really is. "Unlimited can suggest many things and I believe is less descriptive.

Money is something we all understand, but why can't a match also be played for money? How does the term money distinguish the two types of play? And like it or not, there is some stigma to some attached to the concept of money.

A match is just that....a series of games played to a conclusion, while an individual game is just that...a game, played to a conclusion, without connection to other games.

I think the logic and the description is clear. Keep in mind that it should be logical to people who have not played "money games" or any backgammon at all, as well as to the rest of us, and it also needs to be a word that when translated into other languages, carries the same meaning that gives the reader a good indication of what we are describing by the word.

As for experienced players, we could call them virtually anything and we would all get used to it and know what it means...we could call single games cabbage and matches bananas and in no time we would be using those terms and we would all know what we are talking about...so these terms are not just for the convenience of experienced players.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.