[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another angle on the BBC documentary

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Sunday, 30 March 2014, at 6:37 p.m.

In Response To: Another angle on the BBC documentary (Zoe Cunningham)

Who in the world is Saba !!!???? (Saba Bejanishvili)

Story of how brilliant young neurologist from Georgia (the country) moves to the USA, living/practicing in Georgia (the state). Takes up serious backgammon (primarily playing/studying only with XG, little live play or on-line play) and in less than a year bursts onto the world backgammon scene with a stunning, stellar performance in the Dual-Duel in San Antonio. His matches with MCG (where he won on both score and PR), with Petko (a PR match he won), and with Mochy (a PR match he lost, though he won on score) were streamed and generated tremendous attention worldwide.

Everybody on the Internet wanted to know "who is this guy and where did he come from"?

It was interesting I had received an e-mail from Mochy early in the week before the tournament. Mochy had received an e-mail from Saba stating he wanted his matches in San Antonio in the Dual-Duel and other events to count toward joining Mochy's 4.0 club. Mochy plays around the world and knows everyone. He sent me an e-mail asking me if someone was joking around with him -- he could not imagine someone he had never heard of would play in the Dual-Duel and challenge the 4.0 club. I assured him Saba was a real person and an accomplished player.

Thursday evening after the first two rounds of PR matches when Saba had beaten MCG and Petko, and was next up for Mochy, I asked Mochy if he knew who Saba was now. Mochy only smiled and said "yes, I know who he is now".

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.