[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another angle on the BBC documentary

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Monday, 31 March 2014, at 12:40 p.m.

In Response To: Another angle on the BBC documentary (Zoe Cunningham)

One modern approach to documentaries to hang a general history/discussion of the subject around the specific story of someone attempting to achieve a particular goal in the field. The documentary then cuts back and forth between a general discussion of the subject and the specific story of an individual.

This approach has several advantages, including these:

1. Viewers have a person (or several people) to identify with, and there is a storyline for viewers to follow. It is obvious for viewers where the story is leading, and also, where it will end.

2. There is a tension and release that occurs in tandem with the successes and failures of the protagonist(s).

3. The much bigger story of the subject can then be inserted one piece at a time between segments that update the hero’s progress toward his goal. If, for instance, the human angle were to follow one or more individuals in their preparation and competition in the Dual Duel then one cut-away segment could tell the story of neural nets, and explain why competing against the computer is part of the event.

Several possible individuals who would make good protagonists have already been suggested in this thread. The supporting material has also been discussed, to wit:

• The ancient history of backgammon. Excavations from Ur. The Roman 12-line game. The spread of backgammon throughout the Helenized parts of the Roman Empire provide a nice link to its immense popularity among mideastern countries today.
  • The medieval history of backgammon (a picture of an early Hoyle along with several of the familiar paintings from the era could be used).
  • Backgammon’s rise and fall in popularity several times in the 20th century (be sure to include the cover from Playboy magazine that features backgammon).
  • A bit of math and probability (here is where the Art Benjamin story fits in).
  • The doubling cube and gambling. Be sure to mention the "million-dollar" tournament from the 1980s, along with a couple of other big ones. If you know the facts of any big money games that the players involved are willing to share, that would also belong here.
  • Computers/neural nets
This list is not exhaustive by any means. I am sure there are many more I am overlooking.

One thing I would include is a comparison with chess. In backgammon, play is fast, and if you make a mistake, the dice might fix it on the very next roll. If not, the game will be over in 10 minutes anyway, and you can start another. In chess, if you make a mistake, you have to struggle for another hour or more trying to rectify the damage. Even than, all you can usually hope for is a draw!

In the publicity video made following this year's tournament in North Cyrpus, I noted a group sporting team Iran t-shirts at one point, and then an Israeli playing against a Turk in the money rounds. I would use this.

I would also include parts of Falafel's voice over in last year's World Championship at Monte Carlo. His excitement is contagiously palpable.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.