[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

this should be easy.. - ROLLOUT

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 28 June 2014, at 1:34 p.m.

In Response To: this should be easy.. - ROLLOUT (Tom Keith)

Tom Keith wrote:

I would say you calculate the value (MWC or EMG) of winning, on average, a single game, gammon, and backgammon, or losing a single game, gammon, and backgammon, and then play the game out using those values. It is true that calculating those values when the cube is still alive can be difficult. But I don't think that is a reason not to use this definition -- rather, it is a reason to try and improve our technology. Knowing these values is very useful.

I'll take your word for it that those values (which I believe no bot has ever computed, or even tried to compute, at a match score where the cube is live) are very useful, even though I don't see why. I'll even let you use the word "cubeless" for them. So now my question is, what term do you suggest we use for the numbers that the bot actually reports? Those numbers coincide with your numbers only when there is no cube in play anyway, and they are not computed with your definition in mind when the cube is live (setting aside the fact that they do not successfully compute either what they intend to compute nor what you're suggesting they ought to intend to compute). Using "cubeless" to refer to things that are usually not cubeless, nor intended to be, seems even more confusing to me than using "pseudocubeless."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.