[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Away scoring

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Monday, 11 April 2016, at 10:39 p.m.

As we all know, it is the away score that matters in backgammon match play. I tell my students that before every game they think about the away score and how that affects cube action and checker play.

I even write down the away score, instead of the raw score, if the tournament director allows me to do that...some do, and some don't.

I have even made a score flip chart that shows away score instead of actual score.

I believe this is better for the players but also, for streamed matches, this score is very helpful to spectators as it may help them understand why the players are making the cube and checker decisions they are making.

Some argue the current rules do not allow this...as you are doing a mathematical computation and writing it down. Certainly that is a reasonable interpretation. But it is just as reasonable to say that in backgammon the actual score is the away score. That is what every book, article, teacher, and expert uses relative to the game.

I believe away score should be allowed, and the current rules should be interpreted that way, but if the only objection to scoring this way is because of the current rules, then I believe the rules should be expanded with a simple sentence to allow away-scoring.

I have posted a picture of my score card on my facebook page if anyone would care to see it at https://www.facebook.com/PhilSimborgBackgammon

What do you all think?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.