[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

There are MANY tournanents---a bad approach to rules

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 16 April 2018, at 11:05 a.m.

In Response To: There are MANY tournaments where opponent can ban them (Bob Koca)

These kinds of rules, which give opponent's options to ban things, are precisely the kind of rules that cause hard feelings, create tensions, create unfairness, and take away from the enjoyment of the game.

If a player can stop his opponent from wearing headphones just because he doesn't like the idea, then why can't I be allowed to stop my opponent from chewing gum? Or eating? Or wearing pink shirts? Where do you draw the line where one player can limit another player's preferences?

If the other player's preferences truly distract from the ability to concentrate or enjoy the game, then it shouldn't be allowed in the rules, or if something comes up that is not specifically covered in the rules, it is the TD that should make the call, not the opponent. Players should not be put into a position of making rulings against each other or imposing their belief systems on each other. This is not how rules are supposed to work.

If something is bad for the game, don't allow it. If it is not bad, then allow it. If it can be shown that people who wear headphones make it harder for their opponent to play or win, then ban them. It would be quite a stretch to make that argument, and that is why I am in favor of allowing them, more than any other reason. Some people get far greater enjoyment by playing while wearing headphones, and why should we take away their enjoyment unless we can find very good reasons to do so. It should not be just because his particular opponent doesn't happen to like it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.