[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Surprise Resignation

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Monday, 4 May 2009, at 7:29 p.m.

In Response To: Surprise Resignation (Rich Munitz)

I'm sorry, maybe it is the "old school" in me!? But it still wouldn't occur to me to do anything other than accept my opp's resignation of 1 point here, and some opp's might consider me rude to decline.

Clearly the opp has been playing and trying to win this match up to this point so why would he want to dump now? Perhaps frustration has gotten the best of him, but he is voicing his opinion that he cannot win this game.

A few years ago, I learned a lesson when an opp wanted to concede the G and match. I was leading 7-3 to 9 vs an opp who'd stepped up from the advanced to champs and who really belonged back in the advanced as he wasnt doing so well with a bunch of complicated games. He resigned the match when I was almost certain to G him with a centered cube. However, I could quickly see, as I was extending my hand that he could save with 3 big doubles if I rolled 3 aces in a row to waste a turn. Therefore I politely said that I think you can still save it, but then my opp was quite miffed and said, "I give up anyhow" and shook my hand.

People concede races quite often when they might win with 4 big doubles if the opp rolls several tiny numbers and no one bothers to see if it is gin.

But if I felt my opp really was trying to dump, then that obviously is another story.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.