[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

51S21 - I'll do it. But why?

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Wednesday, 7 October 2009, at 3:16 p.m.

In Response To: 51S21 - I'll do it. But why? (Rich Munitz)

I will turn it around and ask, why is splitting the back checkers a big asset in this position?

All should understand that after 51S-21$ responder is in bad shape. 21 is a bad roll. Getting hit on the five is NOT OK. It loses plenty of equity. The point of the play is that the split is worth less than it is with some other 2nd move choices. Getting hit by nines and tens in the outfield is very bad after splitting (24-23, 13-11). And, on the upside of course, when the slot is missed, you have a big equity gain.

The topic of splitting with an ace is worth a whole article or more. I'll point out quickly that:

1. You are behind seven pips in the race. Your primary game plan is containment; not racing, not hitting a shot later.

2. Opener's forward position is NOT poised to make points quickly. Splitting is valuable, but not urgent.

3. Opener does not have a blot in the outfield. After a move like 41S, that blot on the nine often remains a blot which is more likely to hit by split checkers next turn. There are no targets in the outfield after 51S.

It can be argued that doublets are particularly effective in attacking the split checkers in this position. I'm not yet convinced that this is significant enough to make this list. It may be.

In general, splitting with an ace does not play well on the second move when facing four on the eight point. A slotting response is the norm.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.