[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Any tips for pip counting techniques when terrible at mental arithmetic?

Posted By: Lucky Jim
Date: Sunday, 3 January 2010, at 11:55 a.m.

Before work starts again on Monday and I get distracted on things less pleasant than backgammon I would appreciate any help available on the subject of pip counting.

One of the features of playing backgammon online is obviously that the pip count is permanently available.

I have recently started to play a lot more face-to-face backgammon and realise how reliant I had become on the pip count being ever-present on the pc. The problem is my mental arithmetic is useless. Give me the pen and paper and a calculator and I can do the sums – ask me to do it in my head and I muck it up.

Unless the position is a very simple bear off I will make mistakes in doing my own count, my opponent’s count or the necessary subtraction or possibly all three.

I do like the “Mental Shift Method” that Magriel writes about but that doesn’t work when the positions lack any symmetry.

Can any of the readers suggests methods for becoming better at doing pip counts – trying to minimise as much mental arithmetic over the baord from the process as possible because in the heat of the game I am just going to mess it up.

I am very happy to learn 6 times tables or 13 times tables (or whatever number) in advance and very happy to learn reference positions in advance – could anyone who had similar problems share any tips for developing skill at pip counting?

Obviously I accept that there will be a trade off – the more a process approximates the less accurate will be the output but clearly some form of pip counting must be better than just looking at the board and guessing if you are ahead or not.

In summary

a) Are there any articles which are particularly helpfully for the mathematically challenged? b) What are the best ways of improving your skills with this if you are terrible at mental arithmetic? c) How long does it take to become reasonably proficient?(assuming daily practice)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.