[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Quantifying recube vig

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Tuesday, 12 January 2010, at 3:34 p.m.

In Response To: Quantifying recube vig (Matt Cohn-Geier)

I wrote:

What is White's redoubling probability (i.e., the percentage of the time that White gets to redouble)?

MCG wrote:

This is more or less a function of the leader's takepoint. Or your cube point, or both.

This is interesting. To confirm, you're saying that you think that the redoubling probability is typically more strongly influenced by the score than by the peculiarities of the position? I can certainly see that that makes sense at certain scores. For example, at some scores we know that the redoubling probability is going to be close to 1 for almost any "reasonable" position.

If this is true then that's promising for what I'm trying to do, because it means that when we're trying to estimate recube vig (at least in gammon-free positions), there's only "one parameter (the cube efficiency) that is highly position-dependent. We don't have to estimate two position-dependent parameters if one of the parameters is largely score-dependent.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.