[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nactation program: prototype

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Wednesday, 30 November 2011, at 7:10 a.m.

[This thread continues where this subthread left off.]

Matt, this post is intended to provide all the Nactation-related material you need to write a program for translating trad (traditional notation) to Nactation, and Nactation to trad.

Mike Taper reproduced my colorful Microsoft Word Nactation of Doublets table in html (no easy feat). It covers the 18 areal letters of UVRSZB EACON DJIGYMQ plus the underlined versions of the latter 12.

Halving the values yields "codes" for the non-doublet letters:

2000 U/V or R
    1100 B, S or Z
    1001 E
    0011 A
    1010 C
    0110 O
    0101 N
    0200 D
    0020 J
    0002 I

There is no non-doublet GYM.

For now, implement no P HKX FLTW, no non-doublet Q, no symbols, no numerals.

Once the family for a play is determined, ranking within the family is based on this hierarchal scheme (upper/lower case, italic or not, etc.) by applying the hit/most/6 rule. Mike's more detailed explanation, a Procedural Description of Hit/Most/6, may help. [To avoid the (albeit unlikely) chance of encountering a logic loop, just have an extra owned point in the home board trump everything.]

To determine whether a 2000 or 4000 code is U/V or R: For an R play, one of the destinations needs to be in the 17pt to 13pt area. A move with both (or all) checkers played to the 18pt or further back is in the U/V family.

To determine which of non-doublet B, S or Z to use for a 1100 code, consult the left side of this table (noting the definition of "down"). To accommodate popular usage, use S (rather than Z) when there is only one legal way to split and come down (e.g., opening 52S or 41S).

Finally, while it seldom makes a difference, you should include the higher-number-first corollary.

I think that's it. I hope Mike or anyone else will feel free to chime in if (s)he believes my list is incomplete or vague, and of course you (Matt) should feel free to ask for any clarity or advice you need.

Good luck with the prototype!

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.