[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Doubles events - pro / am

Posted By: Rod
Date: Monday, 21 October 2013, at 6:36 p.m.

In Response To: Doubles events - pro / am (Keene)

I'd say that if one is randomly assigned to an advanced player I would not actively seek to enter an event like this unless there was some difference in the entry fee by each player.

I just played the event with a relatively randomly assigned player.

Aside from the lesson aspect (which, depending on the skill of the open player, their ability as a teacher, and the number of rounds and lengths of the matches, might be worth up to $600-$900), there are potential negative issues. Also, if I'm paying half the entry fee for half the prize money I'd just as soon play by myself if someone else is going to have a final say over my decisions, especially if they're a randomly assigned advanced player. When I play with Debra I have a doubles partner who I know is relatively competent who can add value in very specific situations of which I am aware because I know her strengths and weaknesses. She contributes and I value her judgement for select situations.

But let's focus on the positive over any negatives…

It's a free lesson or series of lessons - worth far more than whatever the difference in the fee paid by each, even if the am (of the proam) paid it all, which isn't what Keene suggested.

Not that any or every open players needs to be incentivized (some do and some don't) but how would one maximize pros to play?

Unless we had a point system like in bridge where you can get doubles points too.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.