[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Hats off the Ray for his guts

Posted By: Keene
Date: Monday, 3 February 2014, at 3:42 p.m.

In Response To: Hats off the Ray for his guts (Iancho Hristov)

I think taking the Mochy's, Matt, Petko etc out of it would attract more people lol!

When playing in an event that is measuring skill and just winning, when you see that list of players, well, wow. You know they'll play consistently well, and thats tough to beat. I agree with Phil's assessment.

Its a harsh environment if you arent a top top player, if you have the kind of variance that I do, then even if the numbers are close, the criticism that goes with it, on some ridiculous blunder take, or blunder play is truly incredible. As Phil also said, after 4 tough days of backgammon, its going to be hard to play as well as you did on day one. It may even have turned into a question of who got better quality sleep through the tournament.

So, why the low entries? Lots of reasons - Phil mentioned many, but I'd like to add (alongside the scrutiny), the public nature of the event. No hiding in this event. People wont under or overestimate you, you will be under the lights.

Unlike many others, I dont think Ray needs to be applauded for entering. He's very strong, often underestimated, and demonstrated it by performing in it as he did. He's in there with the best of them. He belonged in there.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.