[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Lets agree to disagree

Posted By: phil simborg
Date: Tuesday, 25 February 2014, at 7:59 p.m.

In Response To: Children in London lives ruined by Backgammon (Jason Lee)

I agree that logical and sound, serious arguments are important, and 99.9 percent of my posts and arguments for the past 20 years have been just that. I have even written articles on the subject and posted messages of the benefits of teaching children on web sites and facebook pages.

An occasional sarcastic and humorous note, in addition, is, in my opinion, not only not harmful to the cause, but also helpful, as it does point out in a different way the ridiculousness of some of the arguments against children playing backgammon. You don't agree, let's agree to disagree on this subject.

After we invaded IraQ, like everyone else, I was listening to the news and reading all the magazines and articles and discussing this very critical action with others, and I felt two-ways about it. But it was a very sarcastic post in the Onion (a very sarcastic and funny publication) that affected my thinking more than anything else.

Shortly after we invaded Iraq, the Onion posted a picture of a dead Iraqi on the cover and the caption said: "Dead Iraqi would have loved democracy."

That sarcasm showed me, more than anything else, why this was not a good action by our government. Later, I would probably have come to the same conclusion, but this was something that resonated for me.

Of course you could have told the Onion that making a more logical, reasoned argument would be better, but I had read all those and it didn't hit me, because there were also logical arguments to the other side.

For some people, different approaches work better.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.