[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Nactation – 43D-65R-55

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 20 November 2014, at 3:50 a.m.

In Response To: Nactation – Algorithm for the Hit Convention (Taper_Mike)

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 156
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 160

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-a----E-CAA-fC---c-e----B-:0:0:1:55:0:0:3:0:10

43D-65R-55

Mike almost never errs in his Nactation interpretations, and his one miss here would not have occurred if years ago I had read and corrected the algorithm in his post of November 25, 2011.

My approachis to provide relatively simple wordings (plus diagrammed examples for further clarity). By contrast, Mike constructs robust step-by-step procedures (algorithms) tailor-made for a computer program (that lacks basic human common sense) to follow -- though humans can use them too if they so desire. :)

[Mike is hoping that eventually someone will convert his algorithms into a full-fledged Nactation program, and ultimately include the style letters as well as the areal ones (though the areals can be a complete system all on their own). My deepest gratitude in advance to Mike on the day this comes to pass.]

Regarding David's position (diagrammed above), my input would have been something like this:

David is correct. By the 6pt convention (see p. xx of the tutorial), owning the 8pt beats owning the 3pt. Therefore, 8/3(2) comes in fourth, behind 10/5 9/4, 10/5 8/3, and 9/4 8/3. For fourth place in a family, use lower-case italic, so "a" = 8/3(2) 6/1*(2).

Now, I could add a rule so that more inside points trumps more points overall whenever there is an opposing checker on the bar after the move. That would make 43D-65R-55A rise to the top. However, in the interests of keeping the Nactation model as simple as possible, I am highly selective, and this rule would not pass muster.

[In the three years since Mike wrote the Nov 2011 post and now, he did not encounter a position that would have exposed his misinterpretation. It seems that all of the following conditions need exist: The roll is doublets, two portions are played from outer board to inner board, the roll is 55 or 66 to move the 8pt (or 33+ to move the 7pt if made, or 66 to move the 9pt if made) and there is no hit from that point, and there are at least four checkers in the outer board, two of which are blots/spares.]

In such rare instances, or indeed whenever it suits you, it can be better to use "assumption.". The modern way to do so is to add a dot after the character. For Blue's 8/3(2) 6/1*(2) play (see repeated diagram below), I recommend "1." (numeral 1 followed by a dot), which means to play a checker to the 1pt and then make the rest of the obvious move. Also possible is to include only the dot or even no character at all (i.e., just the roll of 55). Blue's best play is, after all, patently obvious.

Nack

White is Player 2

pip: 156
Unlimited Game
Jacoby Beaver
pip: 160

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-a----E-CAA-fC---c-e----B-:0:0:1:55:0:0:3:0:10

43D-65R-55

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.