[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Counting and Language

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Sunday, 24 May 2015, at 6:46 a.m.

Hi all. I am studying similarities and differences in how counting is done in different languages. If your native language is not English you can help me out by answering the following questions and emailing me. I think they would take less than 10 minutes. You do not need to use your real name if you don't want to.

---

Language and Counting Questions

Name:

Native Language:

Born in what country?

If you moved to USA or to another English speaking country at what age?

Does your occupation directly involve math (e.g. researcher, computer programmer, teacher) or language (e.g. writer, interpreter, teacher)?

What languages do people typically learn in grade school or high school in your birth country? At what ages? When did you learn English?

What would be a literal translation of common ways to say ¾? (For example in English ordinal numbers are used and “three fourths” is the most common way. “three over four” is also used.

Is there anything you found peculiar or interesting about how one counts to 100 in English? How does it compare to your native language regarding irregularities? Add other comments you have about counting in your native language and in English if you wish. (After answering go to next page)

25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Have you noticed in English the following irregularities? Are there similar irregularities in your native language? a) Eleven and twelve are irregular (regular would be oneteen and twoteen) b) 13 - 19 and numbers from 20 to 99 have a different pattern in English. From 13 to 19 the units place is said first (e.g. thirteen is “three – ten”) but above nineteen the tens place is said first. (e.g. 24 is two tens – four).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.