[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Congratulations Akiko!--She won even more/Pineapple Bluff/Odds Question

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 23 November 2015, at 8:29 p.m.

In Response To: Congratulations Akiko! (neilkaz)

Once again, she also beat me at pineapple bluff gammon. She was down to one roll and had to have 3 sixes to win (we play with three dice); she looked at her dice under the cup, and thought for quite a while and then doubled me. I knew she was bluffing, but again, last time I played her she did the same thing on a 128 cube (in LA).

I remembered last time, and before I took the 128 cube I told her I would take on one condition: if she won, she buys dinner. She won, she bought.

So this time I told her I would take on one condition: if she wins, I will still buy dinner because it's her birthday. She said nothing. Nothing? Not even an answer? She must have learned from the poker greats. I was convinced she was bluffing this time.

The rest is history. She had the thriple 6's; we went to dinner at a very fine, very expensive restaurant (Gairda in the Comwealth).

The good news is we had a lot of other good friends of Akiko's along: Victor and Alia, my son Dan, Tuvya and MCG. And as usual, I play a game to see who pays the check...Akiko was exempted, and my son got stuck with the check.

I believe Akiko could have played in a couple of other events, but it has been proven she has greater equity playing me pineapple bluff gammon. Could be the best backgammon gambling game ever invented. Never seen so many big cubes and interesting swings and ability to bluff as well as having to play well. Calculating the odds can be very interesting. In fact, Jim Pasko was watching and gave us some odds that were most surprising. He came up with an odds bet and said he didn't think anyone else at the tournament would be capable of coming up with the answer, and he tested a few of the most famous people there, and Jim was right.

Let me give you one of the challenges. The rules are you roll 3 dice and you get to pick two. If you choose doubles they only count once. If you roll triples you must play all three but you must play then 6 times.

Now, if you leave your opponent an 8 shot, what are your odds of getting hit?

None of us were able to figure this out over the board. (Remember, 2-2 does not hit).

There are many more basic odds one should know, like the odds of rolling doubles; the odds of rolling a specific doubles; the odds of rolling a specific number; what are your odds in the bearoff given the fact that if you roll triples they count 6 times? All essential to playing the game and cube properly.

Such a complicated, gutsy game, and I'm dumb enough to play Akiko!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.