[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Game Situation Terminology?

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Sunday, 3 January 2016, at 10:04 p.m.

I'm doing some work on my Filemaker database of BG results and positions, hoping to be more organized building up a library of reference positions, plays I've found instructive, gotten wrong, etc.

I want to set up a set of checkboxes for thematic situations, as we often see books organized -- Opening, Middle Game, etc. as well as more particular situations -- Blitzing, Prime vs. Prime, Bear-off for Speed, bear-off for Safety.

Of course it's not hard to think of these terms myself, and going through the headings of various books will be helpful, as well as looking at sites like Backgammon Studio-- and I can always add terms 'on the fly,' but it's nice to start with a nice thorough and deliberate lexicon at the outset so you don't have to go back through all your positions to add examples of a term you suddenly wish you had used after several months of work.

Also, I'm considering whether to use a single field with multiple check-boxes I can tick off for salient features of a position, or whether I should maybe have one field with a single designation for something like Beginning / Middle / Late / End and another for the various more particular themes

I'm wondering whether there's a nifty BG resource online someplace that lists / defines these sorts of categories of situations -- and also whether there's anyone who's grapplers with this sort of descriptive terminology in a deliberate way who could share their vocabularies?

Happy to follow up with whatever I come up with if others are interested.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.