[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Moving through the outfield

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 19 November 2009, at 3:27 a.m.

I recently played a training game against GNU where I got into a deep backgame and finally hit a shot. After the game was over, GNU 2-ply thought that tons of the moves that I made while shuffling through the outfield (either before or after the hit) were doubtful. Before I plunge into a massive attempt to improve this part of my game, I want to ask a couple of questions:

1. Does GNU 2-ply, or for that matter GNU rollout, really know what it is talking about here?

2. Assuming the answer to the previous question is yes, just how much can I expect to improve this part of my game? When I'm shuffling a bunch of checkers through the outfield before even hitting a shot, should I be doing careful comparisons of all the plays to make sure I don't drop 0.030 points of equity? Or is it hopeless to even try?

Here are four concrete positions from the game to illustrate what I'm saying. This is a money game. What's the correct play in each case?

gnubg55

3X4O3O8X4X1O ' ' ' '1O '

3O ' '2O ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '

tchow227

Position ID: x78HAADHAARxTw Match ID: UQkJAEAAEAAA

gnubg35

7X2O3O2X4X '1O1O1O '1O '

3O ' '2O ' ' ' ' '1O ' '

tchow198

Position ID: f+wBAMAxEFLhBg Match ID: UQkJAEAAEAAA

gnubg20

9X '1O '2O1O ' ' '1O1X '

3O ' '2O1O2O ' ' ' ' '2O

tchow148

Position ID: /wEIADjWwAhNAA Match ID: UQkbAEAAEAAA

gnubg25

9X '1O '1O ' ' ' '1O '2O

3O ' '2O '3O ' '1X ' '1O

tchow149

Position ID: /wEAATjmQBMkAg Match ID: UQkbAEAAEAAA

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.