[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Camera setups for videorecording matches?

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Thursday, 12 April 2012, at 11:23 p.m.

In Response To: Camera setups for videorecording matches? (Chuck Bower)

If I remember my physics correctly, polarizing filters work because light is polarized during the process of reflection. When a polarizing filter is then positioned so that it only passes light that is polarized in an orthogonal direction, the reflected light is eliminated.

To make the point clear, suppose we say that the light reflecting from a flat surface is polarized horizontally. Then we can rotate our polarizing filter so that it only passes light that is polarized vertically. The result is to eliminate the reflection.

What must be happening in your experiment is that the light from directly overhead is not being sufficiently polarized during its initial reflection.

This issue is significant, because the inexpensive web cams that are recommended in this thread often to not have the threads necessary to attach a polorizing filter (or any other filter). You must purchase a more expensive video camera to get them. It would be a shame to shell out the extra bucks, and then find out the polarizer could not be attached.

Have you seen Justin’s rig? He has a PVC framework that might lend itself to stretching a semi-transparent cloth across the top, just above the camera. Such an awning might be the easiest way to block unwanted overhead light. I first mentioned this idea above.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.