[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Observations on the Boston Open

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Thursday, 2 March 2017, at 1:40 a.m.

In Response To: Observations on the Boston Open (Florin Popa)

The '3 to 5 shakes' you recall are actually the WBF Rules. Theirs are perhaps the first and, regretfully, one of the very few rules sets that define how many shakes should be performed. They don't define what a shake actually is, but for most players it is what you describe, ie up and down, so perhaps they (the WBF) take it as a given? If so, maybe that's no bad thing. Skidding dice around on the bottom of the cup doesn't really cut it for many of us, especially if the bottom of the cup is dead flat, which most are.

I wonder whether a roll has ever been invalidated in WBF tournaments because it exceeded 5 shakes? I guess not, and that the upper limit in particular is really a guide. It's the lower limit that surely should have more significance?!

FWIW here's my take on number of (up and down) shakes:

3 is acceptable, but hardly thorough.

2 is the absolute bottom line, and rather wet.

1 is vastly better than none, but definitely not enough.

0 is a piss take...especially if they turned their nose up to a baffle box.

Of the 30% of players who declined to use a box when I played in Baffle Box Option events, most of them had poor shaking habits. I no longer play in such events, and (with the possible exception of the BMAB) never will again. I don't miss it.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.