[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Do we want fun or speed?

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Tuesday, 6 September 2011, at 10:00 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago at the Fort Lauderdale tournament I played with some advanced players in a chouette and learned (after a polite rebuff) that a fairly common rule is that there is no consultation until after the cube is turned.

The idea was to "speed up" play. This reminded me of the Jacoby Rule which apparently has the same purpose, to speed up the game.

The thing is that many of us play backgammon for the fun, challenge and social interaction.

What's the point of having a chouette if I can't consult? Yes, the rule does speed up the game a bit, but it also takes away some of the fun we have when we consult, and even better, when we disagree on the right play. So, it seems to me that this rule diminishes the enjoyment of playing a chouette in exchange for little in return. Ditto for the Jacoby Rule--it eliminates a strategic aspect of the game just for the sake of speed.

Wondering what y'all think.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.