[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Great exposure for backgammon

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 9 May 2013, at 10:04 p.m.

In Response To: Great exposure for backgammon (Gyl S)

Though I take certain exceptions with the article and with the writer, I agree the exposure is likely more positive than not -- though I can imagine some finding the depiction of the backgammon world as wholly objectionable. Those must realize the article only addresses a small element of the game while seeking sensationalism and controversy in an effort to sell magazines. However, the old adage of any publicity being good publicity may well apply.

I have contended with many for years that, like all sports and games, backgammon needs stars, celebrities, and characters to promote the game and to generate more interest in the game. The article certainly provides us that.

Many expected a more expansive examination of backgammon in America -- something that would provide us who love the game something to be proud of and to build upon as we attempt to expand the game. For that reason, many, including myself, are disappointed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.