[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Would it be so bad...

Posted By: AP
Date: Thursday, 26 September 2013, at 2:02 p.m.

In Response To: Dice Rolls on You tube (Bill Patterson)

Would it be so bad if players notated their own games in real time? I’ve heard many players say that manual notation slows down the flow of the game too much..but technology makes this easier.

Even with the software available right now, I feel it is not a bad solution. I can pull up XG mobile in 2-player mode with manual dice, and get a game recorded with a few additional seconds per move. These few additional seconds per move seems like a pretty small cost for what you get in return.

Namely:

i) Players have their tournament matches recorded and can learn from their mistakes later

ii) No more manual transcribing

iii) Less issues over the board (legal moves, etc) and easier for TD to resolve such issues because each player is responsible for keeping account of what happened

iv) Easy to broadcast live matches to an online audience…no need for live video streams

Obviously I do not envision players doing this in their casual weekly game, but for serious tournaments it seems reasonable to me. If it is something players are willing to do, then it is only one more step to port such software to a usbgf-approved standalone device that has no neural-net engine…only the ability to record notation. Such devices currently exist for chess (http://www.monroi.com/) and are getting more and more popular.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.