[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tipping tournament staff?

Posted By: Rod
Date: Wednesday, 9 October 2013, at 12:08 a.m.

In Novi someone suggested I should tip the tournament staff. I had never heard of doing so before and asked a few people. It seems that some people do and some people don't. I ended up tipping.

In Peoria I was in a massive rush to finish the main finals, finish my blitz finals, collect, settle hedges, etc. I don't think about it and it has dawned on me today.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it only for winning the main? Placing in the main? Masters? Side events? How much is appropriate? Straight $ amount? % of money won? % of amount won after travel, food and entry fees?

I'm not ungrateful - peoria was great and the tournament did a great job and I'm sure they worked hard. It's more that I've spent probably $10,000+ on backgammon over the past 5 years - setting up the USBGF and the NYC meetup and never ever expected or taken anything in the form of tip. In 2009 / 2010 Harvey Gillis was pushing me to accept a small salary for running the USBGF. I pushed back very hard. Eventually he insisted that starting in July 2010 I would need to take something - even a few hundred dollars a month. I'm not sure what I would have done had I still been running the organization at that point and he and the rest of the board were equally insistent. Maybe taken the salary and donated that amount to the org? Dunno. Julia, who now runs the NYC meetup, also takes nothing and spends a few hundred $ a year on it. And I know she doesn't expect a thing.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.